World Hydrogen Technologies Conference : “Empowering Hydrogen Innovation”
Keynote: Canadian Nuclear Laboratories – A Canadian Leader in Hydrogen Research
Dr. Jeff Griffin, Vice-President, Research & Development
As a multidisciplinary national research laboratory and home to a state of the art hydrogen research centre, our Chalk River facilities is key to Canada’s leadership position in hydrogen technologies, and in meeting net zero goals by 2050.
Panel 1: Nuclear’s role in a hydrogen economy
This session will look at the role of traditional nuclear power generation plants, as well as Small Modular Reactors (SMRs), and the potential for remote hydrogen production, including remote communities, oil and gas and mining sites. The development of such hybrid energy systems could make hydrogen a feasible energy source for communities not currently powered by traditional “green” hydro while supporting the adoption of hydrogen across Canada and beyond.
Moderator: Shawn McCarthy, Senior Council, Sussex Strategy and former Globe and Mail Energy Correspondent
- Julia Pyke, SZC Director of Financing and Economic Regulation, EDF
- Dr. Shannon Quinn, Vice President, Science, Technology and Commercial Oversight, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
- Mollie Johnson, Assistant Deputy Minister, Low Carbon Energy Sector, Natural Resources Canada
Panel 2: Moving Forward: Heavy Transport, Infrastructure, Oil and Gas, and Remaining Challenges
This session focuses on the potential for hydrogen to decarbonize heavy transport, including challenges and opportunities. The discussion includes research on hydrogen fuel feasibility for the rail and marine sectors, as well as research on reducing greenhouse emissions in the oil sands. This session also explores significant remaining challenges, including infrastructure, storage capability, distribution networks and related technical challenges, as well as regulatory and safety considerations in decarbonizing the various sector.
Moderator: Ian Castillo, Head of Directorate, Hydrogen and Tritium Technologies, Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
- Bob Stasko, Chair of Board, Hydrogen Business Council
- Andrew Stewart, President and CEO, Hydrogen Optimized
- Nirmal Gnanapragasam, Senior Scientist, Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
- Carlos Giraldo, Program Lead, GHG and Water, Suncor