Overarching federal priorities and goals to which CNL applies its science capabilities include:
- Support Canada’s national and international leadership to improve the understanding and reduce environmental impact of nuclear energy.
- Enhance Canada’s environmental stewardship by ensuring that nuclear energy is developed within a robust framework that addresses environmental and waste management concerns.
- Support implementation of the Pan-Canadian Framework and achieve Canada’s international greenhouse gas reduction targets by identifying the environmental impacts of nuclear energy production that could be reduced.
- Develop and demonstrate innovative technologies to reduce environmental impacts, increase competitiveness, and promote the use of clean technology including in Canada’s natural resource sectors.
- Providing science and technology to support the understanding of the effects of radiation on the environment
- Improving the understanding of the migration of radioisotopes in the environment (terrestrial and aquatic), and their potential impacts on human health and non-human biota.
- Enhancing prediction methods of radionuclide concentrations in the environment during the recovery phase following an unplanned radioactive release.