CNL manages all of Canada’s nuclear legacy liabilities at CNL sites.
CNL is responsible for implementing the program by carrying out decommissioning and site remediation work and managing the legacy waste. This work involves:
- Ensuring regulatory compliance, safety and effectiveness;
- Identifying priorities and developing annual plans;
- Reporting on approved activities; and
- Holding and administering licences, facilities, lands, materials and other asset responsibilities related to the nuclear legacy liabilities.
CNL manages legacy liabilities at the following sites in Canada:
- Chalk River Laboratories in Ontario, with about 70 per cent of the liabilities;
- Whiteshell Laboratories and the nearby Underground Research Laboratory in Manitoba, with about 20 per cent of the liabilities;
- Three shutdown prototype reactors, with about 10 per cent of the liabilities:
- Nuclear Power Demonstration (NPD) reactor in Rolphton, Ontario;
- Douglas Point reactor in Kincardine, Ontario;
- Gentilly-1 reactor in Bécancour, Quebec.